VMware will be announcing the latest update to the Horizon Suite of End-User Computing products later today, and this edition brings some exciting new features to VMware Horizon.
Some of the new features in this edition are:
- Support for vSphere 6.0
- vGPU support for Virtual Desktops and Shared Applications
- Enhanced Support for VSAN
- Horizon 6.1 with vSphere 6 will support up to 200 desktops per host, and 4000 desktops and 20 hosts per VSAN cluster.
- VVOLs support for Virtual Desktops
- USB Storage Device Redirection for Hosted Desktops and Applications running on Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
- Cloud Pod Architecture can now be managed through the View Administrator Web Console
- Support for running Windows Server 2012 R2 as a Desktop OS
- IPv6 support
There will also be two new Tech Previews coming shortly after the Horizon 6.1 launch –
- Linux Desktops – An upcoming Tech Preview will add support for Linux Desktop VMs to Horizon
- Chromebook Client – Chromebook users will no longer be restricted to using Horizon Blast to access virtual desktops. The Chromebook client will be based on the Android App and add Hosted Applications Support to Chromebook.